Friday, March 14, 2008

Happy Friday

I wonder if people are just too serious these days. It seems everything at work is "life and death" and we've got to get it done "yesterday." I found myself becoming way too sensetive and was cranky around coworkers from different offices this morning. My boss, the Dean, told me to relax and take a short walk outside to get some fresh air. I did that and it seemed to make things a little bit better...Maybe it's just me...I haven't had a candy bar in a couple of days now, so I could be having a "sugar" jones going on today. Maybe if I go get a quick hit on an Almond Joy I'll be in a better mood. I guess sugar is really like a drug.... If that's the case...I'll become a sugar dope fiend...I'll be on the sidewalk, asking anonymous folks for spare change so I can run in and get a quick high from a Snickers or Milky Way. You might find me hanging out in front of "Candyland" in downtown Minneapolis with a hat on the ground, singing campy love songs for quarters or the odd dollar bill. You might also find me with a rag and a windshield spritzer washing windows and sticking my hand in your open driver's side window for chocolate money. I haven't been that desperate yet, but who knows if I will or not...

On a different note...It's been an uphill battle trying to get Goobs to sleep in his own bed. I had to drag him back to his bed twice last night after he climbed in with us. I missed him the last time because I didn't wake up. He brought in a blanket and slept on the floor on J's side of the bed. We watched "The Nanny" on TV and she stressed that parents have to repeatedly bring kids back to their bedrooms until they "get it." Maybe we give up in the end-at 2 or 3 in the morning and just let him. It looks like right now that he's trying and won't give up until he sleeps in our room. My thought that is that he's four now and he needs to start sleeping in his own bedroom. I love that he wants to be with us, but I also want him to be an independent little boy, so I'm a little torn. It is nice to have him snuggle up next to me in the morning...since his younger sister is up and screaming for cheerios usually really early (I'm preferring Goobs' morning demeanor now to the Bun's loud Cheerio tantrums). The kid sleeping in mom and dad's bed thing isn't too earth shattering, so I'm not going to worry about it too much. I would, however, love to change the Bun's morning routine. Just for once I'd like her to sleep late instead of going into one of her pre-dawn cereal rants. We feed her well...we really do, but she still wakes up at 4:30 and howls for Cheerios or Fruit Loops. We are seriously wanting the little girl to amend her morning habits. We're working on it, but havent' found any tangible improvement as of yet.

We've got a party at one of our former coworker's places this weekend...a St. Patrick's bash. It should be interesting. It's not some wild office party, but a few folks getting together and having some food and relaxing together. I'm going to unleash the kids on my coworkers again. They see them about twice a year and don't get the full brunt of what it's like to be around a four year old and a two year old for a prolonged period of time. I think it's going to be a gas...but we can't stay that long since bedtimes prohibit that. Besides, I've got homework this weekend for my Educational Law class.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you tried putting out a small bowl of cereal covered with aluminum foil out the night before for the little one - just as her own "special" snack? (*no milk, just cereal - or a mix of cereal, nuts, dried fruits, the occasional mini marshmallow, etc)

for a little while i did it with mine and it worked like a charm! good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

The Champ was coming into our bed a couple of times a night also. I started taking him back to his bed and laying down with him for a few minutes until he fell back asleep. At first he wanted to stay in our bed but got used to going back to his bed. Now he doesnt come into to our bed as much.

Mama Nabi said...

Ah... LN and I co-sleep so I have nothing useful to add...

Funny, LN woke up this morning and just had to have a vitamin. Then she had to have a banana... :-)