Thursday, December 20, 2007

Ramble of the day

I woke up this morning with a feeling of tightness and a dull ache in my lower back. I can attribute this to using the ball at my desk. Yes indeed, the ball is doing its job. I definitely want to continue with it, but I have a hard time controlling the urge to bounce. This could be a problem, especially if a student comes to me with a particularly sensetive issue and I'm boinging up and down. I'm going to have to work on restraint with this. It's going to take some practice. The Dean of Academic Affairs walked into the office when I was on the phone bouncing away. She burst out laughing when she saw me... I don't know how I should take that. Since we're on break now, I'm basically recording student grades in my quarterly spreadsheet while listening to my ipod. I can freely bounce when I'm doing that, so it's pretty darn cool.

I've received a new title from my oldest, Goobs. He ran up to me yesterday and said...
"Daddy, you're a poopie butt factory!" I wanted to respond somewhat sternly and tell him that "we don't talk like that", but I was too busy laughing. Score me a negative 10 in child rearing for the day.

Two nights ago I had already settled in for bed. J was still rummaging around the house, but I know that she would be quickly turning in too. She walked in the bedroom and asked me to get up and check on Goobs. He's been sleeping on the floor, next to his bed for the last month or so. He gets up in the middle of the night, takes his bedding with him and just lays down on the floor on the backside of the bed near the wall. Well, she looked over on the other side of the bed and didn't find him... so she came in to me and asked me to check if he was under the bed. I complied with her request, got up and sleepily moved toward Goober's bedroom. I looked on the backside of the bed and then got down and looked under the bed. Nope, the little guy wasn't there. A little burst of fear shot through my neural pathways..."Oh my God...He's gone!" I took a deep breath and took pause for a moment and then quietly opened the door to his sister's room. There he was, cuddled up and sleeping peacefully next to the Bun. I called for J, she came and was so taken with seeing the two of them sleeping next to each other, that she wanted to run for the camera. She thought better of that and just let them sleep in peace. I just think this is one of those snapshots that will forever be imprinted on both of our hearts (Oh gosh, I'm mushy about that stuff).

We have to get a new toothbrush for the Bun. She loves brushing her teeth. You can find her at any given moment with her toothbrush and her toothpaste. The problem is she will take either her toothbrush or her brother's special Thomas the Tank Engine toothbrush for her own personal amusement and they will end up in odd places around the house. We found Goobs' toothbrush below the TV yesterday, but we are at a loss to find the Bun's toothbrush now. We've had to double up on the toothbrushing this morning, so we've got to go out and get her another toothbrush today. I'm thinking of getting her a five or ten pack of brushes to be covered if she continues with this love of brushing...

The toothbrushing thing is odd because Goobs is just the opposite of her brother. She could brush her teeth all day. We have to hogtie the boy to make sure he brushes. I did mention this in the blog before...J and I showed him pictures of Meth addicts' teeth from a website and told him that these were kids who didn't brush their teeth. That only worked for about a week and it was back to the same old brushing battle. Oh well...that's just a small battle that we'll just keep on fighting. Aint it fun to be a parent???

3 comments:

Whit said...

That reminds me, my kids haven't brushed their teeth today. Gotta go fight that battle on our front.

Anonymous said...

try printing a photo of the meth addict's teeth and tape it to their bathroom mirror. (*mine's printing as we speak . . .) thanks for the idea.

Mama Nabi said...

I need to get me a ball - the one I have at home, LN's a bit attached to it so I should get one just for work.

Aw... you know, I remember preferring to curl up on the floor... something about the cool floor. Of course, with Korean yo, you just had to roll over a bit! :-) (I kinda wish you DID take a picture so I could have had an "awwwwwww" moment.)

I'm storing the meth addict idea for future use. My battle is actually getting PN to be more enthusiastic about brushing LN's teeth... which is hard since he himself doesn't seem to enjoy the 'chore'. And, no, 10 seconds of swishing the brush around does not count as brushing. (cr-a-ckkkkk! that's my whip cracking.)