Sunday, December 2, 2007

Kid Diplomacy

The kids are out on the deck throwing snow at each other. It's cute, but I know it's going to end with one of them sobbing and wailing within a few minutes. It's a law of nature that two young siblings can only play nicely for a tiny chunks of time. It's a fact that's stood the test of time. I can recall that I would chase my brother around the dining room table, wanting to maim him. I could only play nicely with my younger sister for the shortest span of time before I wanted my GI Joes to kidnap Skipper or Barbie and decapitate them, and hide their heads in either the fridge in the kitchen or under my sister's pillow.
My kids will be doing the same thing. I'm not worried. It's the way of nature...the cycle of life...the law of the universe. I just have to remember that it's really no big deal. Just grab them...tell them they're naughty and then hug them and let them know that they are loved.

No comments: