Monday, July 23, 2007

Sorry Barry, I'm throwin' it back!

Maybe this is a load of unadulterated crap...but I was having a conversation about Barry Bonds with J. I told her that if I was in the bleachers and caught Barry Bonds' 756th home run, I'd throw it back. I am like every other purist "seamhead" that lives back in the days of yore...prior to the steroid kerfuffle...I don't want to see Barry do it. Hank Aaron didn't cheat, and Babe Ruth didn't cheat either-he just powered up on beer and ate hot dogs. I repeated myself to herabout throwing the ball back when we were in the kitchen last Saturday. She gave me that "you are truly full of crap" look and laughed at me. I guess she knows that that ball would be worth too much to throw back, despite my purist baseball leanings. The truth is she's right. I'd try to take as much money from Bonds as I possibly could. I do want Goobs and the Bun to go to Stanford after all.

Being a newer fan of baseball, J didn't know who Hank Aaron was, but she knows now. For the past five years, she's become a rabid Minnesota Twins fan. She truly has taken to the game and I am a happy husband. She understands the finer points of pitching strategy and when a team might want to pull a hit and run. We are looking forward to going to a game the Saturday after next to see the Twins and Indians. She can holler at opposing players with the best of 'em. It's absolutely wonderful. The only sad thing is there are no real Filipino baseball heroes. The only...and I repeat only guy that I even know about is Benny Agbayani. He was a spotty player with the Mets and Rockies. He plays for the Chiba Lotte Marines in Japan now. Kyle Lohse is half Filipino and played for the Twins for a long time. J used to call him her boyfriend...that is until he sucked too bad and got traded to the Cincinatti Reds. Whenever he was pitching on TV, J would yell at the set and say, "Kyle, pag tarong!!! Of course, he didn't straighten up and now he's in Cincy. Oh well...Win Twins!!! and Booooooo Barry Bonds!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tim lincecum's mother is half pinay