Friday, July 27, 2007

PMS in toddlers???

Is it possible for a two year old girl to PMS??? I didn't think so, but then again my daughter...the Bun, had me thinking twice yesterday morning. Okay...so maybe I'm overreacting. I've been accused of that by my loving wife on a few occasions here and there.

But there I was...six thirty in the morning, pouring a bowl of dry Cheerios and getting her morning ration of grapes. Usually, she loves me to put a pile of Cheerios on my palm and she grabs a huge handful and stuffs them in her little mouth. She then picks up a few errant ones and feeds me. It's a cute exchange that I particularly enjoy. We do the same with the grapes...she can't actually grab a pile of grapes. Thankfully she eats those one at a time.

Well anyway...I get the Cheerios in the bowl, lay down her grapes, and finally fill her sippy cup up with milk. Seemed normal...but then, I dipped my hand into the bowl of dry Cheerios and a shriek went up. She then screamed "Daddy no!" I picked the cereal out of the bowl in my usual fashion and she slapped it away, sending Cheerios all over the table and on the floor. I tried again, and she whacked my hand with all the ferocity a little girl her size could muster. I then attempted to give her the sippy cup of milk. Same treatment...the cup went flying on the floor. All the while, screaming and crying. Okay I thought, let's try the grapes. Same thing. Nothing, absolutely nothing was making this little girl happy.

This drama goes on for about ten minutes. I decided that she could sit in her chair and I would just step out of the kitchen for a moment to see if removing daddy from the situation just might calm her down. I walked around the corner out of sight, just intending to wait there until she calmed down a little. That was even a bigger mistake. Daddy leaving just made her shriek louder. Okay...breakfast wasn't working and she hadn't been changed yet to get ready for daycare...Dad will get her ready. Maybe that will work. Not a chance...it was havoc throughout the changing process. We got it done and returned to the kitchen for round two of breakfast. The screaming went on for a couple of minutes, and then without so much as a small indication, she took a deep breath, smiled and then started eating her Cheerios and grapes. I dipped my hand in the Cheerios and handed her a pile. She smiled and shoveled them in. From that point on, she was a pleasant little girl. No more howling or whacking her food away. It was just the Bun and Daddy sharing their usual breakfast moment.

It was weird. It was exciting. It was our morning.

2 comments:

Mama Nabi said...

Phew... I did some speed-reading; would have been nice to be given a heads-up from the beginning... :-)
Ah yes. The evil twin that appears now and then. I confess that I am afraid of the Satan-Nabi that comes to replace Little Nabi once in a while... seems more often, seems correlated to any new events or activities... whateve it is, I'm saying, "Uncle. You win. Really, you win. Now shoo."

Soccer Nanay said...

Must take after her mother - no talking before coffee in the AM.