Thursday, July 19, 2007

Shut up Samok Daddy

It's official. I don't get women. Here's the story...I was riding home on our commuter bus with one of my female coworkers. It was standing room only for us. We were pleasantly having a conversation as we stood and rode along. The bus had to make one stop before we all disembarked at the commuter station. The people standing in the row had to get off of the bus so let others depart. My female coworker moved up front right away. I was still standing in the aisle when a woman sitting next to me tapped me on my hand. She asked if my friend was pregnant, and if she were, the seated woman would give up her seat. I responded that she wasn't, but I thanked her for her kind gesture. I thought nothing of the question or my answer.

As we got off the bus, my coworker came up to me and asked what the lady had said. Here's the part where I guess I was really, really, really dumb. I didn't think about how she would take it. I'm the typical guy...If you ask me a question, I'll give you the answer. She asked me...so I told her. She did get mad...I wasn't sure if it was at me, but I knew she wasn't happy.

I went home and told my wife what happened. J promptly told me that I was an idiot, and that she couldn't believe that I had been married for as long as I had and not had the common sense to lie to her. I came to work the next morning and found that all the women in my office (note from a prior post that all the individuals in my office are women) heartily booed me as I walked in. My coworker had told them all what I had said. I had been crowned the biggest idiot in Minneapolis for the day.

I found out from them that my coworker had gotten home and spent the entire evening eating junk food because she felt rotten. I officially feel bad and I know that there is nothing I can do to take back my case of stupid honesty. I guess I have to tread lightly in the office and just not open my mouth...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

really? dude. i would've done the same thing? what's the issue here? that you didn't lie and say she was pregnant and let her have a seat?

i'm confused.

Mama Nabi said...

Hm. To be honest, I think your co-workers are killing the messenger here... she asked and you answered truthfully. Yes, her feelings would be less hurt if you had lied/made up a different question... but I don't see how you'd end up the bad guy here. Sure, clueless... but aren't all men when it comes to stuff like that? I mean, how many men freeze at the "Does this make me look fat?" question no matter how often it's asked? (RIGHT ANSWERS: "Of course not!" "Nothing would make you look fat!" "Don't be silliy - you're not fat." WRONG ANSWERS: "Ummmm", "Well, kinda...", "You tell me... and I'll say it", "Not really... just around the hips but it's okay", "I don't care if you look fat, I still love you" Yeah, the last one appears as though it should be a right answer... but it's not.)

honglien123 said...

Hey, I know this is late, but I would've done the same thing too. I don't get it, why was she mad? If you had lied and she had taken the seat wouldn't that have been taking advantage of the stranger's kindness? I mean seriously, that's more awful than facing reality right?