Saturday, July 14, 2007


For the longest time in my life, I had no idea what it was like to be married. I had this vague idea that it was all about two cars in a garage, grocery shopping together, picking out carpeting, agreeing on shades of paint in the livingroom, and driving a minivan.
People had told me that marriage was all about work, compromise, communication, and giving. I thought to myself..."okay, I think I can handle that." What I've learned is that it's a whole lot more...It's about taking turns, listening (which I'm getting a little better with), not having your way, holding your tongue-even when you're dying to say something (and in my case, it's usually unbelievably stupid), late nights, early mornings, poop in diapers or in the tub, mopping pee from the floor (I did that last night, in fact) , packing trunks, moving furniture, giving hugs, wiping tears, cleaning kitchens, washing clothes, making beds, doing the right thing-even when you don't want to, and most of all...just being present. There's so much I didn't mention, but all who walk the path of commitment to their spouses and their families know what I'm talking about.

This is the toughest thing I've ever done...It takes more toughness than everything I went through in my schools in the military. Airborne school was a cakewalk compared to some days as a husband and parent. But, hey... the rewards that come from this life together are worth everything I face in a day with J and the kids.

Honha...I don't say it enough. You are the juice in my battery...the fire in my barbecue...the cool in my breeze...the groove in my moves...the light of my soul. I wouldn't want to walk through life without you and our kids. Thank you for walking this road with me.