Monday, July 23, 2007

At the Swimmin' hole

I am so happy that Goobs is taking swimming lessons this summer. He's still hesitant in the water and is taking his time getting comfortable. He's getting there and enjoys getting in the pool with me. He just needs a combination of cajoling and patience. He went off of the slide with all the other kids in his class tonight. That's pretty good for a kid who will be turning four in October.

The Bun, on the other hand, is fearless when it comes to water. I recall her excitement when we were island hopping between Samal and Talikud. The bun wanted to be right down at the bottom of the steps off of the outrigger on the banca. If she could have jumped in, she would have. That little chick is our water baby. She gets upset if we don't take her in the big pool when we go swimming on the weekends.
I was certified as an open water diver in 2000 in Davao. Diving is one of the most exciting and fulfilling things I've ever done. Snorkeling is also "cooler than heck." Just being in the clear water off of Samal and Talikud is one of the best things I can think of. I want to share that with both Goobs and the Bun. Okay...I sort of fancy myself like a Samok Daddy Jaques Cousteau, giving his kids the opportunities to swim with the the beautiful fishes in the sea. Okay...okay...let's just get the kids in the pool and let them have fun...Let them splash each other and jump off of a diving board. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. How about we just sit in the kiddie pool for a little while.
Pass me the sunscreen.

1 comment:

Mama Nabi said...

We (PN and I) are hoping to get certified for scuba... even bought a Mexico timeshare for that reason (stupid, stupid...). We both love to swim and hope to share that love with LN - I'm so jealous when I hear of other toddlers learning how to swim... we really need a gym membership.