Wednesday, July 11, 2007


I don't know about you folks, but we watch a lot of animated movies in our house. In fact, that's all we've seen in the past two or so years. We rent them and watch them over and over and over, until we return them. Goobs has gotten to the point of reciting characters' lines and acting them out in the living room with the movies. I kind of feel like I've got my own little kiddy version of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" in my home. The bun just squeals and dances when the musical numbers come on. It's all good and very cute. I just need a break from it now and then.


Just recently J and I got to see a movie that was made for adults, wasn't animated, didn't have talking animals or vegatables, and didn't have musical dance numbers in the credits with all the characters doing a variety of bouncy-funky dances. It was refreshing to have a movie with suspense...a little fear... a little whodunit... But, it seemed like a guilty pleasure. It was late in the evening, after we got the kids to bed. Starting a movie at 9:00 or a little later isn't good because we've been hard at work...at work, followed by chasing our short people all over the house, bathing them, picking up toys, cleaning up the kitchen, and maybe folding a little laundry. I found myself nodding off about halfway through the movie. It was a little after 10:00 and I was done. After nodding off a half dozen times, I realized that regardless of how fun it was watching a movie, I couldn't hang. I did stay up until the end, but I found I had to watch the movie over again a few days later. J was smarter than I was. She said she was tired, stood up, and walked off to bed.


I have always loved movies. They've provided great escapes for me. Am I getting old...is my life just too complicated? How do other people do it? Is this just a period in life where my life is dominated with movies like Chicken Little, Over the Hedge, Flushed Away, Chicken Run, Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Happy Feet, Madagascar, The Wild, Cars, and Finding Nemo...? I guess I should just abandon myself to the next wave of animated films...I guess I'll be waiting for Ratatoille (Hope I spelled that right...)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

it took us a WHILE to get to watch movies for the over 5ft set... i didn't think that would EVER happen again... and i am a HUGE movie geek!

my mom doesn't live too far away so, usually on saturday or sunday, the thin man and i pack up the kids and drop them off at lola's and head for a matinee/theatre close to her house.

then, we can enjoy a flick and maybe lunch or an early dinner together... in the beginning though, we noticed that we kept going to comedies... i think we were taking baby steps. we actually see "movies frought with meaning and substance" now. ;)