Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Very Samok Valentines Day

It's not been a romantic day for Samok Daddy and J. I'm working basically from 8:00 am to 8:30 pm. I won't be back home until 9:00. J told me that she would sit and watch "Batman" with Goobs. I've got a nice card for her, but everything is on hold until we have our little "ski getaway" this weekend. I am really looking forward to that time just to kick back, have a little outdoor fun and just refresh things with J. I just have to get through this week and not daydream too much about the weekend. FOCUS!!!

It's been a nice day here at work. Someone left a flower on my desk...yeah I'm a softie, so it was actually nice that someone did that for me. But...I got a real cook valentines gift from one of my students. I have a young woman from Seoul, who is studying to be a chef here. She's working hard and I'm really proud of her. She's fighting a bit with comprehension in the classroom, but the effort she's put forth so far has been impressive. I sometimes help her with phrases and vocab when her chef-instructor uses a bit too much "chefspeak" and colloquialism, but she really has done a lot of the work on her own. I have to say that So-Hee has "rocked" in the classroom. I told her how proud I was of her...and what did she leave on my desk this morning for valentine's day???? I found a giant package of Shin Ramyun in front of my keyboard!!! That stuff will be good on a cold Saturday afternoon when I want a good snack. I've gotten cookies, a flower, and chocolate truffles...but the gift that, hands down, wins and makes Samok Daddy smile is the Shin Ramyun!

I am wondering how many students will show up for my class tonight. It's been fun the last couple of evenings. We've been playing this board game with various body parts on it. The students roll the dice and move their pieces along the trail. They land on spaces with pictures and words (body parts) and have to make a sentence with the body part in it. These are beginners, so they mostly use simple adjectives like "My ears are big" or "My ankles are thin." They really enjoy playing the game and asked to play it one more night. I don't know if they're just stalling because the game is fun and they don't want to go on to harder exercises, or they just enjoy the learning...Who cares...they're speaking and getting more comfortable. I'm having fun in a raucous classroom. Who says learning has to be serious????

Gotta run everyone. Hearts and kisses to all!!! Arrrgghhh, I suppose I don't sound that masculine saying that. Okay...I'll say it with a deeper voice...See ya!!!

1 comment:

Mama Nabi said...

Shin Ramyun is the best V Day gift I've ever heard of! Hope you'll enjoy it sometime this week as temps drop yet again!