Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It's all about the hair

So...being a former military guy, I'm accustomed to having short hair. The minute my hair seems a bit shaggy, I'm compelled to run to Cost Cutters...or one of the other generic hair places that populate strip malls everywhere and chop off my locks. J has been complaining to me about my short hair. She says I look like I'm still in the military and she doesn't like it. She calls me "Joe". Joe is the term that filipinos use a a generic name for any American looking guy. Since the Philippines was heavily populated my men in the US military for so long, the greeting that most people give when seeing an American is "Hey Joe." That being the case, every time I return from getting back from a haircut is "Hey Joe!"

The other part of this is that she tells me that I look younger with longer hair. Even though I have younger kids, I guess you could say that I'm no spring chicken. So I guess she's right. If I can get away with looking a bit younger, I should do it.

Here's the thing. The Director of Admissions of our fine institution and I were chatting this afternoon and she said this to me "I don't know what you've done to yourself, but you look more dignified...your hair makes you look kind of stately." I'm confused...my wife thinks longer hair makes me look younger...another woman says it makes me look dignified...I'm lost and have no clue. I do know this though. J is the one that I go home to at the end of the day. If she thinks it makes me look younger...I think I should stick with her opinion. So here's the new plan...I'm not cutting my hair for the next two months. I'll keep using gel to keep it in place. Despite my urge to just hack it all off, I'm going to hold back and not make the trip to get my hair cut. It looks like everyone will get to see more of the gray that has sprouted in the last few years. Whoopeee...

Maybe this is the beginning of my midlife crisis. Does this mean I'm going to start wearing gold disco medallions and wanting to buy that little red sports car? Life's getting interesting folks. So...this is "Joe" signing off...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're growing it, we're (as in AM, not me) cutting it . . . i guess there is balance in the universe!

good luck! (*and don't buy that hair wax crap - just good ol' fashioned hair gel.)

Creative-Type Dad said...

Let me be the first to tell you, there's nothing wrong with wearing gold medallions.

Dad Stuff said...

That's great! Make sure you grow the back longer than the sides. Nothing says young and dignified better than a good ol' mullet.

Anonymous said...

As for the gray, my philosophy is that it can turn any color it wants as long as it doesnt fall out.