Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The ADD follies...why life is sometimes more interesting than it should be...

What's been on Samok Daddy's mind lately...everything...and that's no joke! Ya see...I'm one of those people who've been blessed with that wonderful affliction of ADD. You guessed it...that means that everything goes through my mind at any given time. It just doesn't slow down a whole lot. Life's been fun and difficult. I do find adventures, but my organizational skills and task orientation has been just a little on the wild side. This does lead to some situations that are fun, and yet others that are exasperating for those around me.

Usually, I think I do a fairly good job of holding things together and getting things done that need to get done. Granted, they get a little scattered. J often times has to say..."FOCUS!" That gets trying for her when I am supposed to empty the dishwasher, and in the attempt to be helpful, I start doing something else in the kitchen, which completely gets in her way. There are other things that bug her about being married to a guy with ADD. Yes, Samok Daddy is a space case and on any given day this leads to J rolling her eyes and walking in the other room so she doesn't strangle me.

Lately, I've been thinking about getting some help with this little affliction. I have decided that medication probably isn't the answer. I am starting to do some more research on solutions. I'm looking at different books with strategies and I've also gone to some websites offering coaching on how to live successfully with ADD. I don't know about the coaching yet, but I'm really hoping to make some changes in my daily life. I mean...things have gotten better in some respects. I haven't washed a cell phone in a year. I had a span of about a year and a half where I washed three of those bad boys... I can find my car keys on a fairly regular basis and I can find the remote control for the TV most times I look for it. I did get the Christmas tree out on time this year. That darn thing sat in the garage last year. I closed the garage last March, got a hand saw and cut up the Christmas tree into little pieces and put it in a bag. I had forgotten about the doggone tree for so long that I was embarrassed to carry it out whole. Yes, I cut up pieces so small that it could fit with the rest of my garbage...Yes folks...that is the extent I will go to to hid my ADD embarassment.

Oh well, within another ten minutes I'll forget this and start thinking about something else...And now you know the other reason I sit on a big bouncy ball at my desk in the office...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder, type 2 (rapid cycle) . . . I'm a BLAST at "that time of the month". i do NOT take medications. it was not good.

BUT life changing.altering.adjusting behaviours do wonders for me (and those around me). =) you'll do FINE without the meds.

Mama Nabi said...

I don't know if meditation type of activities help...? My ex-bil (my sister's ex husband) is bi-polar (pretty severe) and I think when he joined a meditation group, he became more focused... maybe too focused as he got obsessed with meditating. I think there's a department in the university for spritual healing or alternative healing or something like that that offer seminars...?

Anonymous said...

With everything going on, I wasnt sleeping at all. My mind was racing all night. I was put on an anti-anxiety medication and it has helped out quite a bit.

BTW, thanks for the comments at my site. Very meaningful.