Friday, January 4, 2008

More Travel Channel

It's Friday morning, I'm at my desk, and I can hear my coworkers either milling about in their cubes or chatting amongst themselves. We've got students coming back to school on Monday, so the energy level in the office is ramping up a tad. A lot of my coworkers have been under the weather. I was feeling a little crappy too, but I'm muddling through. I took the day off on Wednesday and just laid on the sofa with no energy, enduring a headache and nausea. I'm better now, but still not quite right.

If you've read my blog from earlier in December, you might have read that my dream job is to be a guy like Anthony Bourdain, who's got a travel program (No Reservations) and goes from country to country and meets with locals, hangs out, and eats. What could be better? On Monday (New Year's Eve) , the Travel Channel had a "No Reservations" marathon. On Monday morning, I was still in my jammies, Goobs was enthralled with his new "V-Smile" educational game with the small TV we bought the kids and the Bun was busy hammering on something near me in the living room.

I flipped on the Travel Channel out of sheer habit, and there Bourdain was, somewhere in Seoul, in a Pojang Macha (a street tent/bar-eating establishment), eating ttak Dongjjip (chicken butt) and knocking back soju. He was being taken around Korea by a young woman by the name of Nari. Nari took him to a variety of different places...an arcade in what looked like Myongdong, various bars and eating establishments, and a noraebang (singing room) that was decked out in pink with stuffed animals around the place. The one real thing that stood out about the whole thing was that Bourdain was "blasted" almost the whole time. The soju never stopped flowing through the whole debacle. Nari even took him to a combination yontan (charcoal) factory/ natural sauna to sweat out the alcohol. Following the sweat, samgyupsal (pork) was served with the obligatory soju chaser-for breakfast no less. By the end of the program, I felt hung over and I was drinking orange juice and eating toast.

Korea, more specifically Seoul, holds such an important place in my heart. It's where I had a pivotal change in my life...where I grew up...where I believe I learned to be a man. The funny thing about my personal transformation is that Seoul is where I first learned how to live life without alcohol. Odd, since alcohol seems to be such an important part of developing personal relationships with friends and coworkers. Maybe that held me back from becoming closer to some folks there...Koreans have a word (Jung) which kind of translates to "deep bonding." Perhaps I missed out by not sharing the experience with getting drunk with a group. I know that some folks off on official occasions when asked to drink and I refused. I did come up with the story that I had an allergy to alcohol...which is definitely true. I think some of them felt sorry for me that I couldn't fully dive into deep bonding with them. I think I'm a better man for it...even though I lost out on a little "jung." I've climbed mountains, sipped tea in peaceful settings, smoked cigars on rooftops, been obnoxious in noraebangs, played soccer, skated, cooked, ate...and always had a hell of a lot of fun. I can remember all of it...and I never puked during any of those experiences. I hope that Anthony Bordain got to see and do some of the cool things that I had the pleasure of taking part in.

2 comments:

Beloved said...

Oh, the nostalgia!

It's nice to know someone else who didn't drink in Korea, but I get what you're saying about the bonding. As you can probably imagine, it was easier for me as a woman, but I always did feel like I was letting someone down. There was just always a sense of disappointment and it was hard for me because I really like to follow that old "when in Rome" adage. I did try (or should I say choke down because I really disdain the taste of alcohol) soju on occassion, but after one shot, I was done.

Mama Nabi said...

sigh... seriously, I used to love the whole bonding thing. Loved seeing all my uncles or my parents' friends get nice and toasty as they spread jung with bottle after bottle.
Didn't realize how naive Korean can be when acknowleding alcohol addiction... even my mom who knew about PN's problems would nudge me and say, "Just let him have one". Um, it's not about my LETTING him have one - and once he starts, he can't stop at just one...
I know that, gastrointestinally speaking, alcohol breaks down differently for Asians (hence the flushed red face after one drink)... wonder if that has anything to do with lack of serious alcohol addiction, i.e. your body physically rejects certain amount of alcohol before you can mentally be addicted to it...?