Monday, August 6, 2007

Weird Haircut talk

I had a weird conversation yesterday. I have mentioned in a previous post that we go to Supercuts near our home for haircuts. Goobs and I went there yesterday because he had been bugging me to get his haircut for the last few days. I don't get it...do most kids just turning four worry about their hair?

Well...anyway, we have a woman, designated in this blog as M, who always cuts both my and the Goober man's hair. M is from the Manila area and always fawns all over Goobs and the Bun. As she cuts his hair, she speaks to him in a version of Taglish baby talk. She keeps forgetting that other than English, he hears bits and pieces of Bisaya from his mom. He doesn't have any exposure to Tagalog, other than M's haircutting sessions. Goobs just talks to her in English and bobs his head up and down in agreement with whatever she says. He's pretty good at this because he knows that if M is happy, he gets more suckers. He's a clever boy when it comes to getting what he wants.

Here's the weird part...M starts talking to me about Tagalog lessons. She asks me when the kids are going to start Tagalog lessons. She goes on to say that it's really important that they not sound weird when they speak Tagalog. I'm still shaking my head up and down, going Okah...uh huh... okay... Then she starts telling me that all the hot actors and actresses back home are all hapa. Since our kids are hapa, they could become actors. Okay...don't get me wrong...I do get a good feeling when someone says that our kids are good looking. What dad or mom doesn't like it when someone says your kid is handsome or pretty...but this just weirded me out. I mean...the Bun has just become accomplished at telling us she's pooped, and Goobs would sooner ramble on about firetrucks. I had this feeling like by sending my kids to Tagalog lessons Goobs might be on his way to becoming the Filipino Danny Bonnaduce. Yeah, that's what I want...to see my kid cracking up on cable...all because I sent him to Tagalog class... I'm not even going to entertain the thought now. I guess I am not a stage parent...thank God.
___________________________________________________________________

While walking with the kids a couple of weeks ago, J came up with the brilliant idea to keep the kids out of the water flowing in gutters coming from water sprinklers from the yards in the neighborhood. She told Goobs that the water was "Dog pee" and not to play with it. Okay...he doesn't play in that water anymore, but if he sees any sprinkler runoff, he announces to everyone in earshot that there's dog pee in the gutter. Sometimes quick solutions backfire on us.

No comments: