Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Newest Soccer Dad


I'm sneaking out of work a little early today. Goobs has his first soccer practice this evening and I want to be there for all of it. He and I went shopping over the weekend and we bought his shin guards, special soccer socks, and a new soccer ball. We had another soccer ball, but The Bun commandeered that one and has not let her brother near it. Besides, he loves his new leather ball.


He didn't like the shin guards when we first slipped them on with his new socks. We've gotten him to the point where he doesn't complain when he puts them on. I think he'll be fine once he gets started tonight.


I realize this is soccer, but for kids his age it's more along the lines of a herd of kids chasing the ball together. Many moons ago and 25 pounds ago his dad was a college soccer player. Our team sucked, but we were a great bunch of guys that had a good time. But...I don't want to be the dad that gets crazy when the team just is a crazy bunch of arms and legs that looks like a giant cloud of dust chasing a ball. I am going to have to plant myself in the lawn chair, zip my lip and cheer. I also don't want to be the dad who rides the referee unmercifully. I've seen it and it's ugly. Not only that, since this is a group of four and five year olds, it's not appropriate for me to try to direct things or shout or do anything else stupid on the sidelines. My job is to shut up...cheer nicely and clap. I'm sure that J will remind me of my role in the grand scheme of things as a new soccer parent.


Oh...and now we have the vehicle that can hold a crapload of kids...we qualify as soccer parents. How cool is that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the move from just regular parent to soccer parent - good luck. i've not done this with my children but i've heard all sorts of narratives . . .

but good for you for recognizing this is about goobs and not reliving your college soccer days. (some parents can't deal . . .)

Anonymous said...

Trust me, the soccer moms are worse than the soccer dads on the sidelines. For The Champ we are not supposed to keep score. Try telling that to a 6 year old.

Dad Stuff said...

Don't follow Larry King's example of sideline behavior.
It will be tough to sit still when Goobs gets his first 'nudge' from another player.
But tell him good luck this season and have fun.