Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Eternal Search for Balance

This is an interesting type of travel that is sometimes used in the Philippines. The locals call this augmented motorcycle thingee "skylab" in reference to the long fallen satellite. It is a motorcycle with a 2"x6" board laid out across the back of the seat. If you look at the thing from an overhead view, it does sort of resemble the outline of skylab, thus the name. If you look closely, you can see that there are eight people on this vehicle. The thing that amazed me about that is that our new vehicle-The Flyboat, only seats seven. It's pretty darned big, as far as I'm concerned...and then you see this little motorcycle, precariously balanced, with eight people aboard. That's really amazing to me!

Balance has always been something that I've worked on having in my life...but it's been hard. It's always been a case of too much of one thing or not enough of another. As parents, J and I teeter back and forth, somehow getting things done. I'm amazed how we function...but things do get done. Sometimes quickly...sometimes slowly...but they get done. I have to credit J for the balance we have. She is amazing because I think I just suit up and show up and she's the true brains behind the operation. I don't tell her how much I love her and respect her.

So, Jennifer...if you're reading this, just know that your husband does worship the ground that you walk on. Yes, I'm samok...I'm disorganized...My ADD is a real pain in your butt...but I'll suit up and show up for you as long as I draw breath. Someday, we may even get to ride something like skylab and enjoy the scenery...Okay...you won't even let me ride a jeepney without supervision...so maybe that's out too.

No comments: