Thursday, May 15, 2008

Ten Things

I was laying in bed thinking last night. I've been doing a lot of that lately. Sleep hasn't come easily or quickly for me these days...I'm not sure why, but it's irritating. Most nights I find myself rolling around and then looking at the glow of the digital clock at the side of the bed. I try to relax myself by mentally transporting myself to places that I'd like to visit or things I want to do. Time and the lack of cash conspire against me and I don't think I'll get to do these things, but dreams are always good things...so I'll keep wishing

I've compiled a list of places I'd like to go and activities that would be a gas. See if these things resonate with you...

1. I am hooked on the Philippines. I want to be at a secluded beach resort with my family, relaxing as the sun sets in the west. I want to hear exotic birds cawing in the background as we set down in a beautiful poolside restaurant with a thatched roof. I want my belly filled with grilled tuna and fresh fruit...Ah...that's a nice thought.

2. I've had these thoughts about being in the new family vehicle (the flyboat) somewhere in Montana. The flyboat is fully loaded with all the necessary traveling items and we've got the ipod loaded with great traveling tunes. We stop at scenic overlooks and get summer sausage and provalone sandwiches out of the cooler and the kids drink Kool-Aid juicers. We stop at little touristy places and the kids buy various and sundry crap that they can play with and decorate their rooms with in the future.

3. I'm dreaming of Monterey, CA. I spent two years there while I was in the military. There is this restaurant between Cannery Row and Fisherman's Wharf that is right near a walking and bike path. They play live jazz there on Sunday mornings. I can't remember the name of the place to save my life, but I dream of going back there and having an omlette to die for and listening to great music as I stare out at Monterey Bay. The smell of the sea, the sound of jazz, and the taste of the food...memorable...simply memorable...

4. I want to go to an outdoor concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater again. I saw Widespread Panic there in 98. It was a fantastic venue. It was getting dark and the moon came out during the concert. The picture is still burned into the back of my corneas. The view, the acoustics, the atmosphere (it was Widespread Panic, so it was a bit cloudy... but it was nice nonetheless), and the music made it a great night. J wants to see Dave Matthews and I think Red Rocks would be a perfect place to see him. If not there, the Gorge at George would be my second choice.

5. The first floor window of Seattle's Best Coffee in Myong Dong (Seoul) is the best people watching spot that J and I have ever found. Myong Dong is a sea of humanity that just shouldn't be missed.

6. I've never been to San Diego, but I really want to go see a baseball game at Petco park. I hear that the weather in San Diego is ideal. I want to sit there behind the plate, wearing shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops. I'm not a Padres fan, nor will I ever be...but that's where I want to watch a game. I suppose concessions there might be more alligned with serving fish tacos than bratwurst. I am soooo midwestern. I can't watch a game without a good dog or brat... Oh well, I'll deal with it when it happens.

7. I want to go to Rio...I think the being able to stand next to the statute of Christ overlooking the city would be one of those moments that I'd never forget. The view would be truly killer! Then...just to be on the beaches there would be out of this world!!!

8. I imagine myself sitting in the hot pools in Reykjavik. That's right...I want to hang in Iceland for a couple of weeks...see whales, glaciers, and just wander around.

9. I put New Zealand in the same category as Iceland. It's clean, cool...as in hip, and filled with natural wonders. I also want to watch the "All Blacks" Rugby team play a game and perform the Haka-they're known for that.

10. I dream that it's warm enough to sit out on my deck in the darkness, stare up at the stars and smoke an expensive cigar-my vice that I don't do much...but J. hates it. We got new Eddie Bauer outdoor chairs and I want to break them in. Oh...I can't wait for a warm and peaceful Minnesota night.

Okay...I've given some of my places of interest...How about some of you folks...Angie...Mama Nabi...Dad Stuff...Father of Five...Posh Totty...Supermom...How about you guys???

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind going back to Puerto Vallarta with HSBF again . . .

Since we're heading on a trip next month, I'm sure we'll make some memories in our destination . . .

I'd like to go back to Korea with my parents (esp. my mom) . . .

I wouldn't mind some beignets and chicory coffee in the french quarter in na'oleans . . .

steaks in DC . . . or a pint in Alexandria's Old Towne Pub . . . or a picnic under the cherry blossoms

i'd like to go back to the Dells - this time with the kids . . .

skiing in quebec city? but a season before that: picking apples north of montreal at that island on the grounds of that monastery, and eating sausage and bread and cheese (that the monks make on site) with those freshly picked apples and some good red wine . . .

a scotch whisky and golf tour . . .

samokdaddy said...

We're only a few hours from the Dells. I know that S.A. is supposedly home to the world's biggest water park, but the Dells is water park central...

Dad Stuff said...

I really enjoy the Black Hills in SD.
Also, Midway Stadium, enjoying a Saints game.
Wave to the train.

Anonymous said...

actually, schlitterbahn (the world's greatest water park) is about a 30 minute drive north of SA in new braufels - but TOTALLY worth the drive. i can't wait until the kids are old enough to go - i'd say about 10.

i LOVE the dells. it's like a real life "dirty dancing" set.

Mama Nabi said...

1. Zanzibar. Never been. Billy Joel mentions it in a song and I've been in love with Zanzibar ever since.

2. Busan. That lucky Angie is going... I've always had a special place in my heart for Busan - lots of lovely memories.

3. Well, anywhere in Seoul.

4. New Orleans... just to walk up and down the streets, stopping for a crawdad snack or a plate of raw oysters... mmm.

5. Europe... in general. I've never been to Europe and would love to experience it.

6. Bangkok then Hong Kong.

7. Where my old high school is. SOOOO want to visit.

8. New York - again, never been and would love to.

hmmm, I think at the moment, anywhere but here sounds good to me, though.

Beloved said...

China and Mexico--DESPERATELY!!!