Monday, May 12, 2008

Monday morning obsessions

When I get here to work I can't settle right down to the routine on Monday morning. I'm always a little bit scattered. I jump around the internet for a few minutes to catch up on some things that I maybe have missed...it's not so much the news, but just that I can't settle down and I just need to bounce around in some way.

So...I just happened upon a commencement speech given by a head football coach. Okay, granted that probably isn't that much of a stretch for a guy to read, but I started reading it anyway. You always hear the same things at these speeches...engage your passion...dream wildly...suck in the experiences of your life...yadda yadda yadda...blah blah blah...

Something was different this time. The words were the same, but this time they resonated with me just a bit more. Yes...I'm older, but there are still things I want to do. But, with a mortgage and a family is that possible? Can I dream big and stick my neck out? Am I doomed to live in safety because it pays the bills? What am I passionate about? Is there anything that fires me up so much that I'm willing to go out on a limb? I'm sitting here at my desk this morning with those kind of thoughts banging around like a couple of superballs in my skull.

I'll say one thing. When I'm in class, I'm engaged and I love it. I really dig learning and a being a part of it. Here's the stinky part. This is only my third class in my Masters program. I have to continue to go to school and stay at my job. As long as I'm here, the school's free and that's big for me. I think I have to just keep slugging away for now and trust God that there's something more for me out there. My problem is that I want it right now. Keep walking and doin' the deal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

newly being on the other end of that situation, i can assure you, it is worth it. i haven't yet reaped the rewards, but i know that the little sacrifices i made are going to be worth it - i have to and so should you.

keep at it! (bouncing or not.)