Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Stirring the pot

Every so often a guy has to do something a little different to make life exciting. I had been thinking about that for a while...how can I make life just a little more exciting. These days it's been get up, go to the gym, get ready, go to job one...work...take the bus to job 2 on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday...then go home...run into the kids' rooms, hug them, and fall into a heap, only to do it all over again the next day. It's a real grind, but that's what life seems to be these days.

We do have fun on the weekends. Last weekend we went to an apple orchard that had camel and poney rides and other fun stuff. We took a lot of pictures with the kids and I got some rhubarb crisp-I had to be different, since everybody else was getting apple pie and apple crisp. The neighbor girl had a birthday party last Saturday evening. We did the thing we usually do...all of us go to their garage-cleaned out with tables and other birthday crap in it, sit with our lawn chairs, eat like pigs and watch our kids run around like maniacs. Hey...it's what we do...so...suburban.

So anyway...even though we have fun on a regular basis, I'm kind of feeling as if I'm in a rut with fun. The other morning I got an idea...spawned from an early morning workout at Gold's gym. Gold's has this nifty thing called the Cardio Cinema. They've got all these cardio machines set up in a darkened room set up like a movie theater. So there I was in the morning...on the eliptical. I was watching "Anger Management" with Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson. I saw a scene that got me thinking...Nicholson (the therapist) had Sandler (the patient/rage guy) stop on a New York bridge and sing "I feel Pretty" from South Pacific. So...my mind started working...I ride to work on this completely sedate commuter bus from the burbs to downtown here in Minneapolis. Nobody, I mean Nobody says boo to anyone on the bus. They sit in silence, reading, sleeping, or listening to their IPODs. I am tempted to stand up in the bus and belt out "I feel Pretty" at the top of my lungs. I wonder how people would take it if a 200 lb guy stands up in the middle of the bus and lets out a broadway tune? Would they think he's a closeted fool, who wants to let it out on a bus...No...no no, I'm straight...but maybe I'm a little crazy. Maybe they'd arrest me for disturbing the peace...cuff me and take me to the police station in Eden Prairie. I don't know...but, I'm just bored and wondering what I can do to stir up the pot. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Mama Nabi said...

Trying to remember who posted the videoclip... but there was a videoclip of this guy in Seoul who had this sign that said "Free Hugs" and (you know how not-huggy Koreans are, at least not with strangers) it was touching. And stirred up the pot. I think it was either Ji In or Made in Korea who had that clip. :-)