Monday, November 24, 2008

Not quite there yet.




Thanksgiving is racing up to meet us and will soon pass us by. Christmas will be on the horizon and I have found my Christmas spirit...or rather it has snuck up and bit me. I got to my desk and sat down to work at the computer and I opened up media player...yes kids, I've been bad and ripped a bunch of music to my work computer...well, I fired up the old beast, selected some Christmas tunes, and slipped on my headphones. Isn't it amazing how a few bars from an old tune and conjure up warm images from deep down inside that completely color my perception for the day?

Crazy as it may seem, I'm wanting some snow. This is coming from the man who consistently whines about wanting to be in a warm place with crystal blue waters and soft sand. My kids are excited when they see a hint of snow on the roofs of the houses in our neighborhood. That little bit of infectious excitement has found its way into my chest and is slipping into my heart. The Bun is old enough to begin to get the fever for the season too. It's a good thing...

Now, we're doing something new. Instead of getting cheerfully robbed by the boy scouts at the neighborhood christmas tree lot, we're doing something different this year. We're actually going to a tree farm and cutting our own tree. Now don't picture the Griswolds going out and uprooting some huge evergreen in the middle of nowhere and lashing it to the top of the family truckster. The place we're planning to go to is a real tree farm that has trees that are specific for Christmas tree cutting. We've talked to my brother and there's a tree farm up near their place (about an hour away). We'll make a day of it and spend some time with them and share more Christmas cheer-plus we'll borrow his axe and saw.

I realize we have to eat our way out of Thanksgiving before we really get to the beginning of Christmas season, but gosh...I feel like I'm already immersed in it, and it's a good feeling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i LOVE the photos of J and the kids! (good grief they got big!)

is that really what it looks like outside your door?! . . . YIKES!

Mama Nabi said...

Yeah... fake one for us. For a LONG time. No axe wielding. No Griswolding.