Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A few days ago J tried watching the TV series "Weeds" online. She had to download something called "Zango". To complete the download she deactivated the firewall on our laptop. It immediately went on the fritz and we had to send the dumb thing to the Geek Squad...we had purchased the laptop six months ago at Best Buy, so we thought that would be the thing to do. Yes, Vista was corrupted and we are out $130 to get it fixed. They say it's only a software problem, but there are still problems with the laptop, so they will probably have to send it up to get a higher level diagnostic.

J asked me if I was going through some sort of withdrawl from the laptop. I confessed that I was. She only uses it to talk to her mom on a daily basis. Her mom is in Hong Kong this week and won't be near her computer, so she isn't talking to her anyway. The laptop sits conveniently on the kitchen counter, so I do the dishes/sweep the floor/ clean up the kitchen I watch TV shows like Fringe, Bones, or Life On Mars. I rock out to Pandora when everyone's in the other part of the house. I also like to watch Arirang news...regardless of the fact that it's pretty benign stuff about Korea. I am abreast of Lee Myung Bak's trip to the states and Peru, and also up to date on German Shepards qualifying for a certain international standard in a Seoul park. J thinks I'm a nutcase for continuing to watch that news program and that I should be concerned with what's happening here and now in the twin cities. I think it's because I don't want to lose that feeling of closeness to that dirty, crowded, constantly buzzing behive of a city that I loved and called mine for a long time. Man...did I just go off on a tangent...

Well, anyway...we will be without the laptop for a little bit. I'm sure that during that time I'll look longingly over to the counter where the laptop sat. I know that withdrawl eventually goes away and is replaced by resignation. The laptop will return, but when...

2 comments:

Mama Nabi said...

If you have Netflix, it's available for watching online. Although, I don't know if it's ONLY past seasons or current seasons. :-) I love Weeds, the few episodes I've seen so far.

Zango Support said...

The post above mentiones Zango and some difficulties using the computer. We would like to offer our assistance in this matter:

First please note that Zango is a safe and secure program and is tested daily to make sure it is always safe.

Zango works with various partner sites. This means that when a site owner partners with Zango, the site offers content for free and the content on this site requires downloading Zango first.
Once Zango is installed, you will have free access to all Zango related items without having to download Zango again.

Zango is a user friendly program, and it is of paramount importance to us that our program will function properly and will be easily installed and removed.
As in common practice among on line companies, Zango can be removed from the computer via Add or Remove programs (Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove programs), you may use our uninstaller and you may also use the uninstall instructions we offer under the Zango component in the program’s list.
Following this procedure, Zango and all Zango related components will be completely removed from your computer.

To remove Zango from your computer, please do the following:

1. Close all open applications/programs/windows
2. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
3. Find Zango on the list
4. Click the Change/Remove button
5. Check the components you wish to remove, click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.
6. Restart your computer

Alternatively, you can use our uninstaller:
1. Click on the following link - http://installs.zango.com/downloads/Uninstaller/Uninstaller.exe
2. Click Run and follow on-screen instructions
3. Restart your computer.

If you have additional questions do not hesitate to contact us:

Zango support team can be easily contacted through our help site: http://catalog.zango.com/destination/corporate/supportform.aspx
or directly at: zangocustomersupport@zango.com